A Quick Timeline Of Weed Laws In Malta Following Possible Legalisation Comments By Robert Abela 👀
Recreational Marijuana, Coming Soon? ⏳
Following a recent interview, Robert Abela has sparked cannabis users' interest once again following his comments on further removing penalties surrounding the substance...
In light of this potentially positive news, here's a quick timeline of weed laws in Malta through throughout the years 👇
• Simple possession, if tried in the Court of Magistrates, is liable to between 3 and 12 months imprisonment and/or a fine of between €470 and €2,350.
• If it was tried in the Criminal Court, the sentence range is 1 to 10 years in prison and a fine in the range of €470 - €23,500.
• Cultivation of cannabis plants is punishable by a mandatory prison sentence.
March 2015 🌱
• The police can prosecute people caught with small quantities of drugs (defined as a maximum of 3.5 grams). These users will be fined between €50 & €100 - they will not be required to appear in court though.
• Police are able to detain people caught with these small quantities of drugs for up to 48 hours, so as to get more information surrounding possible drug trafficking.
• Cultivation of a cannabis plant for personal use is no longer punishable by a mandatory prison sentence or suspended sentence.
February 2018 🌿
• Malta officially legalises medical cannabis, allowing family doctors to prescribe it to patients, who will be able to access non-smokable forms of the medicine at pharmacies.
• Patients will require doctor's prescriptions, as well as a dedicated cannabis control card, which needs to be approved by the Superintendent of Public Health.
• So far, three conditions are eligible to be treated by medicinal cannabis: chronic pain, spasticity in multiple sclerosis and side effects of chemotherapy.
• Malta Enterprise approves 5 projects related to the production of medical cannabis, with a total investment of €30 million - which will create 185 new jobs.
April 2020 🌴
• The Maltese government sends out a video message for the first time ever in support of Malta’s 40,000+ cannabis users.
January 2021 🌲
• Just this past week, PM Robert Abela appeared on TVM to discuss a variety of topics. One topic he touched on was how he'd like recreational cannabis laws to be relaxed...
• Such a positive message towards this topic from the leader of our country indicates that the full legalisation of cannabis in Malta could be right around the corner.
Wiz Khalifa Visiting Soon? 🤔
Weed laws have long been a hot topic in Malta. Now, with the surge in global interest surrounding its medicinal use, as well as the fact that making it recreationally legal could give our economy a huge boost - we may see a few smoke clouds coming soon 👀