11 Things Maltese Students Need To Know From The New 2021 Budget 🚨
Some Exciting Updates! 🥳
But also some not so exciting ones...read on for a full breakdown of this year's 2021 Budget with regards to measures affecting student life.
The Good 🥰
• Free internet to all students who continue post-secondary studies.
• Accommodation for Gozitan students within Villa Lauri in Birkirkara.
• A pilot project will be launched whereby MATSEC O / Int / A Level exams will take place at the same venue that students attend school in.
• Commitment to the University Sports Complex project, which includes a new indoor athletics track, a full-size football field and Olympic track. There'll also be 2 new buildings, for the Institute for Physical Education & Sports, as well as the School of Performing Arts.
• A regulatory overview of online education will be carried out by the National Commission for Further and Higher Education - in order to ensure things are running smoothly.
• Making the 4th ferry between Malta and Gozo a permanent feature.
• Lastly, a whole new round of vouchers will be issued, this time to be split: €60 for restaurants and €40 for services & goods and other establishments 🥰
The Bad 😠
• There was no mention of any financial incentives aimed towards benefitting teachers and professional educators - in face of the countless challenges induced by Coronavirus.
• The lack of funding issued towards the Genitourinary clinic, (where sexual diseases are diagnosed) which is facing unprecedented delays in testing & setting appointments.
• While there was commitment shown towards the permanence of the fourth ferry, there was no mention of the Gozo fast ferry which was promised in the most recent electoral manifesto.
• The 20-hour limit for working students receiving a stipend was not addressed once again, further discouraging some of the most hardworking and in need among us.
Credit to KSU, SDM & Pulse for disseminating the above information.
I Mean, At Least There Was Some Good News Right? 😒
in light of the current pandemic, the reception of this year's budget seems to be quite a positive one. We'd like to know though, were your issues addressed? Let us know.